February 25, 2016
By: Maira Magana
Disabled people have a hard time doing daily tasks but one without a disability can begin to imagine what they have to go through on a day to day basis.
It is hard for them to get from one place to another. The main problems that a disabled person struggles with when choosing a home is the kitchen and the bathroom.
You will have to put in some money to make your home more accessible to your needs. There are many foundations out there that will help with making their everyday life a little less complicated.
The California Financial Housing Agency is one of California’s well known agencies that help the disabled with a low interest rate and with down payment loan services for first time buyers with a disability.
If you are a disabled person and would like to be independent and own your own home, you have quite a few things you need to think about before making the decision of buying your own home.
One of the first things you would need to consider would be how far is the location. How far is the distance between your home and where you will be going? (hair dresser, grocery store, doctor, etc.).
You also need to become familiar with your area, what is close to you like; banks, grocery stores, etc. This could make it a little more difficult to find what you are looking for.
Another important step to buying your home is to become familiar with your homebuyers’ Rights (you don’t want to get taken advantage of).
You should be aware of all the programs and resources that are available for the disabled. I will give you some information of the main ones.
Supplemental Security Income: This program helps you maintain a steady income so that you have a better chance of qualifying for a government loan.
The requirements to qualify for this loan are:
- You must live in U.S
- You must be legally blind or disabled
- You must have minimal income
- You must have minimal resources
Another program is: Social Security Disability Insurance
Even though this program is not associated with housing it could be of great help for you and your family. To qualify for this program, you need to be:
- Legally blind or disabled
- Have paid social security taxes to be in accordance to benefits
- The amount received on a monthly basis is based on social security earnings record of the insured worker
- You will immediately receive Medicare coverage after receiving disability for two years
The third program that I want to mention is Homeownership Voucher Program
- This is a federal housing program that helps disabled low-income and limited income families buy a home
- It helps them with their monthly mortgage payments
To qualify for this program, you need to:
- Be a first time buyer
- No family member will have or have had any interest due for a home in the past three years
- Family that is applying must have a family member with a disability
- Family must complete the PHA’s Pre=assistance ownership and housing counseling program