Truck drivers provide an indispensable service by transporting finished goods and services worldwide. They are also responsible for mechanical maintenance, customer service, and sales at times. There is three main truck driving jobs: Owner operators, Company drivers, and Independent owner-operators. Owner operating truck drivers are drivers that own their own trucks. These truck drivers can rent their trucks, drive for certain companies, or be self-employed drivers. Company drivers are drivers that work for a certain company and drive the company’s trucks only. Independent owner-operators are those drivers that own a few trucks of their own and can drive their own products and or services. There are also many kinds of jobs in truck driving some of these are:
- Regional drivers are drivers that work in different states close to their home and might be gone for a few days.
- Flatbed drivers carry large and heavy things like steel pipes, lumber, and tanks.
- Dry van drivers carry perishable and unperishable goods in big trailers.
- Reefer drivers are drivers that carry frozen and hot goods.
- Local drivers are drivers that stay in their local area and return home on a daily basis.
- Interstate drivers are drivers that drive very long distances and are gone for days, weeks, and months.
- Team drivers are drivers who have someone going with them and take turns driving; it’s usually a husband and wife.
- Tank drivers are drivers that carry diesel, fuel, gas, and petroleum.
- Vocational drivers are drivers that drive tow truck, dump trucks, and cement mixers trucks.
- Bull rack is drivers that take livestock around their hometowns and all over the United States.
- Household goods are drivers that take a personal thing, like a moving truck.
- LTD drivers drive double and triple trailers.
- Boat haulers are drivers that carry full-size loads like for bass boats or regular boats.
A truck driver’s salary varies. They could get paid by salary, hourly or by a base rate. Base rates are paid by the miles that are driven or by the load. Some truck drivers get paid by the miles they run. Large companies that have U-Haul drivers pay them by the short miles. The short miles refer to the miles that are driven to pick up the load and is calculated to how much the driver gets paid. There is also the practical miles pay which is mostly offered to the veteran truck drivers. This is when the driver is given a specific route to take and is paid for it. It said that over the road truck drivers have the highest paying jobs. Walmart is said to pay the highest salary of $71,500 a year and that does not include the bonuses that these drivers are given at the end of the year. Mississippi is the state that pays the highest wage to truck drivers.
Even though some people might not agree with truck drivers receiving higher wages than any other job, they don’t have it that easy. Even though these truck drivers have the highest paying job they are responsible for learning the different rules of each state they drive thru. Truck drivers also suffer from health problems like obesity, smoking, and sleep deprivation. They are also at risk when they have to rest at truck stops. There have been many cases where these truck drivers get robbed and/or killed.